Sunday, August 7, 2011

Historic Aircraft Identification - Test Your Knowledge!

Weekends, I usually take a break from fiction writing.

If you don't already know, I love aircraft, heavy machinery and history. So, for Snapshot Sunday, here are a few personal photos of historic aircraft. (Obviously, some of the older ones are of poorer quality.) How many can you identify? (The first one is a gimme.) Sorry, there are no prizes, just the satisfaction of being awesome if you know them. And if you're not an expert - well, they are pretty cool, aren't they?












Ready for the answers?
I'm unsure of 1 or 2, so any experts checking in are welcome to comment.

  1. Messerschmitt Bf 109E
  2. Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
  3. North American P-51 Mustang
  4. Aichi D3A Val  (this may be a cunning replica built from a BT-13)
  5. DeHavilland Chipmunk (an early model, as it has glasshouse canopy, no anti-spin strakes)
  6. North American T-28 Trojan
  7. Supermarine Spitfire
  8. Hawker Hurricane
  9. Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
  10. Lockheed C-121 Constellation (this one is done up in the old TWA livery)
  11. North American B-25 Mitchell
  12. North American Harvard (AT-6 variant)
  13. Antonov AN2 Colt

12 comments:

  1. Having worked on a Royal Air Force base for nearly ten years, I ought to have a clue, but alas, I don’t. Now, had they have been gliders I would fared better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last weekend, I was at the EAA "Super Saturday" event in Oshkosh, WI. I saw many of these aircraft there... although the only name I can now remember is the B17. It was an incredible day even for a seasoned aircraft mechanic like me.

    http://www.airventure.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right, here's my best guesses:
    MesserSchmitt
    no idea
    P51 Mustang
    Japanese Zero
    French ?
    US Navy ?
    British Spitfire
    no idea
    B17
    no idea
    no idea
    French MB152

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even begin to guess! Love the planes though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are pretty cool and the only connection I have to small planes, is when I hear one, I get sleepy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh, as much as I love planes, I never spend enough time on learning their names...

    Maybe this should be the new object of my reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My late husband worked in an aircraft factory many years ago, He worked on the TSR2, Also on the first Brirish Concorde, he had a pass to see the first take off . There were other planes he worked on byt can't recall the names.

    Interesting post,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUM... I don't fly. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. BTW, I have a bunch of old photos of planes from WWII, my great uncle flew off the Enterprise. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Alex!! You got 5 (or close enough). A shiny gold star for you.

    Stu- yes, been there years ago. I think I've been to most of the aerodromes on the eastern seaboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jules - why not post your pics for us all to enjoy???

    Yvonne - How very cool! I lived in McLean, Virginia for several years (close to 1 of the 2 airports able to handle the Concorde) and it was always exciting to see it go over.

    Misha, Thingy, Alleged - well, I'm glad you seemed to enjoy them anyway. I like to spread the aviation luv around :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos. I couldn't even guess, even though I spent lots of time at the Wright Patterson Museum in Ohio. I loved looking at the old planes and thinking how the Wright Brothers had a dream...and look what happened when they followed their dream!

    ReplyDelete