Sunday, August 7, 2011

Historic Aircraft Identification - Test Your Knowledge!

Weekends, I usually take a break from fiction writing.

If you don't already know, I love aircraft, heavy machinery and history. So, for Snapshot Sunday, here are a few personal photos of historic aircraft. (Obviously, some of the older ones are of poorer quality.) How many can you identify? (The first one is a gimme.) Sorry, there are no prizes, just the satisfaction of being awesome if you know them. And if you're not an expert - well, they are pretty cool, aren't they?












Ready for the answers?
I'm unsure of 1 or 2, so any experts checking in are welcome to comment.

  1. Messerschmitt Bf 109E
  2. Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
  3. North American P-51 Mustang
  4. Aichi D3A Val  (this may be a cunning replica built from a BT-13)
  5. DeHavilland Chipmunk (an early model, as it has glasshouse canopy, no anti-spin strakes)
  6. North American T-28 Trojan
  7. Supermarine Spitfire
  8. Hawker Hurricane
  9. Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
  10. Lockheed C-121 Constellation (this one is done up in the old TWA livery)
  11. North American B-25 Mitchell
  12. North American Harvard (AT-6 variant)
  13. Antonov AN2 Colt

13 comments:

  1. Having worked on a Royal Air Force base for nearly ten years, I ought to have a clue, but alas, I don’t. Now, had they have been gliders I would fared better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last weekend, I was at the EAA "Super Saturday" event in Oshkosh, WI. I saw many of these aircraft there... although the only name I can now remember is the B17. It was an incredible day even for a seasoned aircraft mechanic like me.

    http://www.airventure.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right, here's my best guesses:
    MesserSchmitt
    no idea
    P51 Mustang
    Japanese Zero
    French ?
    US Navy ?
    British Spitfire
    no idea
    B17
    no idea
    no idea
    French MB152

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even begin to guess! Love the planes though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are pretty cool and the only connection I have to small planes, is when I hear one, I get sleepy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh, as much as I love planes, I never spend enough time on learning their names...

    Maybe this should be the new object of my reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Li: not sure if you know about this: http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/ In Rhinebeck, NY, there is an aereodrome where they not only have a lot of these older planes, but they put on air shows. I went when I was a kid. It's been years, but it was always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My late husband worked in an aircraft factory many years ago, He worked on the TSR2, Also on the first Brirish Concorde, he had a pass to see the first take off . There were other planes he worked on byt can't recall the names.

    Interesting post,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HUM... I don't fly. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. BTW, I have a bunch of old photos of planes from WWII, my great uncle flew off the Enterprise. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Alex!! You got 5 (or close enough). A shiny gold star for you.

    Stu- yes, been there years ago. I think I've been to most of the aerodromes on the eastern seaboard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jules - why not post your pics for us all to enjoy???

    Yvonne - How very cool! I lived in McLean, Virginia for several years (close to 1 of the 2 airports able to handle the Concorde) and it was always exciting to see it go over.

    Misha, Thingy, Alleged - well, I'm glad you seemed to enjoy them anyway. I like to spread the aviation luv around :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. I couldn't even guess, even though I spent lots of time at the Wright Patterson Museum in Ohio. I loved looking at the old planes and thinking how the Wright Brothers had a dream...and look what happened when they followed their dream!

    ReplyDelete