Monday, November 7, 2011

Fun In Intercourse, PA - Photos

Yes, it really is the name of a town. Intercourse is in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, in close proximity to Blue Ball, Paradise, and Bird In Hand.

As I've been sick the past few days, I'm taking the easy way out (again) and posting a pic or two for your entertainment.
Peanut butter schmier (pronounced shmeer). A spread made of peanut butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, egg whites and vanilla. (Recipes vary.) Kitchen Kettle Village features a lot of shops selling local foods and crafts. The Kitchen Kettle makes various jams, preserves and baked goods on the spot - you can watch them. (Photos of the process are prohibited, since most of the workers are Amish and don't want their pictures taken.)

Amish Tour Bus
A glass enclosed, custom built touring wagon for the Englisch. (Note the cushy mats for the horses to stand on.)

Waiting For A Tune-Up
 The two very different cultures, living side by side, make for some interesting juxtapositions.

Fave Amish saying: "Too soon old, too late smart."  :-)





10 comments:

  1. I came back to my parking spot at Walmart in Mennonite country (Kentucky) and there was a horse and buggy in the parking space next to my car! The horse just stood there eating from his feed bag like it was the most normal thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo with the horse and diagnostic center. Wonderful. Schmier. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear i had to read that title twice lol :) great pictures! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've been sick! The schmier sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember passing through Intercourse with my 8th graders on our East Coast trip; the T-shirts were a popular topic of conversation. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love photos! Words are great, especially when it is you that is weaving them, but I love getting a glimpse into other worlds and cultures through photos. My favourite is the second photo of the horse and cart.

    I think I'd like the peanut butter schmier. I think I'd enjoy pronouncing and translating everything there as I speak Afrikaans which derives from Dutch. Although, I never imagined you could be a tourist in Amish country!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @lorcadamon - our new Walmart, Target (and various other stores) have built sheds with tie-rails for the buggies, so the horses have some protection from the elements as they wait in the parking lot :-)

    @thingy - not a pleasant-sounding for a sweet treat, I'll grant you that!

    @Yoshimaro - I just couldn't resist ;-)

    @Alex - thanks, Alex. it's a little sweet for my taste, but a lot of people seem to love it.

    @Milo - needless to say, the sign saying "Welcome To Intercourse" is a popular photo stop!

    @Stuart - you have to watch what you order in various places! If you order pot pie here, you won't get a pastry/ meat pie, you'll get a sort of stew with chicken and thick square noodles. ("Pot pie" derives from the Pa Dutch name "bot boi").

    You feel better too, Stuart.

    @Emm - glad you like it. I enjoy your virtual tours of London and your photos!
    You might have some success in understanding the Pa Dutch language, although it derives from German; Pennsylvania Dutch is actually a misnomer, the better term is Pennsylvania German. (I believe "High German" is used during services, hymn sings, etc.) But since Dutch and German have some of the same linguistic roots...you could probably make yourself understood. The majority of Amish speak English well - better than many Englisch teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Li - hope you're feeling better - I love the pick of the horses outside the factory!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah that last picture could definitely be a writing prompt. :) and hey, I have a t-shirt from intercourse but I'm afraid to wear it. :D
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel better soon!

    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete