Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Spine Poetry



Estrella Azul of Friday Flash created some "book spine poetry" and challenged others to try and create their own. The idea is to stack some books and create a poem using the titles. So here is my attempt, and if you'd like to view Estrella's and links to other samples, go here.  (I don't have a particularly large library, and many are textbooks, but I gave it a shot.)

A murder in Paradise,
in the valley of mist.
Self incrimination
in my blood,
a traitor to memory.

Look again.

A secret gift, to break the silence;
the airmen speak.

9 comments:

  1. Pretty cool, Li. It looks like a fun exercise. I might give it a shot. Gosh...I don't have that many books either!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely try it, lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stacked itself quite nicely, love it! Glad you played with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a neat idea!

    I had to check the stack of books sitting next to the computer after reading yours--unfortunately, it goes "Axel's Castle; The Martian Chronicles; The Hugo Winners; The Far Ends of Time and Earth; The Twilight Zone; Artemis Fowl; The Dreams That Stuff Is Made Of. Not quite poetry material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always choose and arrange titles - it doesn't have to be true to a particular stack sitting around somewhere :-)

      Delete
  5. That is totally cool! I never thought about doing that before. You could do a whole art exhibition if you have the right books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I think there's been at least 1 large display done somewhere, but it would be a fun thing for libraries or independent book stores to do to engage the public and bring in readers.

      Delete
  6. hi Li

    just wondered if you'd played with storybird...thought it might appeal. you use art to prompt the narrative rather than the other way round and the length lends itself nicely to a 'flash' approach.

    here's one I made earlier: http://storybird.com/books/i-want-one-of-those/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Matt! So sorry I'm late, been under a doctor's care this week for a shoulder injury, but I fully intend to create an account at Storybird and check you out. Thanks for the tip-off! :-)

    ReplyDelete