Thursday, December 20, 2012

Invisible Quilt - An Old Post

During this holiday season, there are many who are facing pain, grief, and loneliness. So I have chosen to re-post Invisible Quilt, a piece which was written a few months  ago for a close friend in time of need. Happy Christmas to all who have been blessed, and I wish peace, strength and healing for those who need it.

I have a gift for you, my friend, one which I hope will remain with you always.  Something that will keep you warm during the cold dark days, though the corners may grow threadbare and the down become thin from hugging it so much.

It is made from squares of memory whose half-forgotten patterns come alive the more you remember;  familiar patterns of joy and sorrow, vestiges of old spills, geometric shards of dreams and laughter.  The delicate, even stitches of time hold it together, and though many may eventually pull free there is nothing which will make it completely unravel.

You cannot see it but I hope that you can feel it;  the invisible quilt of love and friendship wrapping itself around you.

May it warm and protect both you, and yours, forever.

Join Romantic Friday Writers

16 comments:

  1. Lisa, I found this heartwarming. It would be lovely if you linked it to the RFW Holiday Spirit blogfest. It is very fitting!

    Happy Christmas!!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Thak you for the invite, and I'll try to get it linked tonite. Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you David, and Happy Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  3. That was lovely. {{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back! Hope it brings you some comfort as well. :-)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I needed this today as a I prepare to say farewell to my father. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Lisa. I feel honored that I was able to offer you something to ease your grief. And you are very welcome. :-)

      Delete
  5. Very nice. Have a beautiful holiday season and more success than most of us could stand in 2013.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful Li. A comforting sentiment. Your comment about your sad little tree was heartwarming also. Sometimes it just takes a little thing to help on the way towards healing.

    Have a merry Christmas and wonderful new year Li. And thanks for participating with RFW's Holiday Spirit blogfest. I think you captured the essence perfectly.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely image! An invisible quilt of love. Reminds me a bit of Amanda Palmer's song, Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such warmth and what beautiful words to create that warmth, Li! This is what's going to pull me through these next few months, needing to be away from my husband for health reasons. I thought we wouldn't need to be apart ever again now that we're married, but now here we are again, maintaining a long-distance relationship. Thanks for reminding me that the memories will keep us closer. =) Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Glad if it helps-I wish you both all of the best, peace and strength and the power of love in the New Year.

      Delete