"Daddy" she sobbed, brokenly.
"Shhhh. It's okay, Michelle. He's at peace." Laura stroked her sister's hair. "You've taken such good care of him. You hated him for so many years, but you came through in the end. I can't believe that you sacrificed so much to take care of him these last few years. I guess I was really wrong about you."
The room was eerily quiet, now that the machines had been silenced. Laura leaned over the hospital bed and bent to impart one last kiss on her father's forehead. She hesitated at the last moment, puzzled. In death, his mouth had slowly fallen open and his tongue - with a decidedly neon green tinge - was visible.
"Michelle, what's with his mouth? I've never..."
The on-call doctor bustled into the room, still talking loudly to someone in the hallway, so Laura heard her say only "....and he asked me to get him a lime slushy."
"The chaplain will be here in a few minutes. We'll give you all of the time you need to make arrangements. I'm very sorry for your loss." The doctor flipped through a chart. "Convulsions and acute renal failure. Not entirely unexpected, given his age and his history of diabetes, alcoholism and heart trouble. Although things did happen rather rapidly. We'll need to know what to uhhh...what arrangements have been made for the body."
Michelle sniffled loudly. "Cremation. He told me yesterday he wanted to be cremated."
"I want an autopsy." Laura yanked her coat from the back of a chair and flung it on. She turned to the doctor. "And I want every test ever known to man done on him."
Another wet outburst erupted her from sister. "They're not going to cut him up. It's horrible. Disgusting. He wouldn't want that."
Laura studied her sister coldly. "He wouldn't have wanted to have poison poured down his throat either. I know exactly what you've done. I remember what happened to our dog Pluto. And Daddy hated lime flavored anything."
Today's poison is ethylene glycol, a colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting chemical found in many household products, including antifreeze (which is often green, yellow or orange in color). Antifreeze poses a significant risk to pets and children because of its sweetness. Most cases of ethylene glycol poisoning are accidental; however, it has also been used as both a murder weapon and a means of suicide. There have also been documented cases of death resulting from someone knowingly or unknowingly drinking it as a substitute for alcohol (ethanol).
Recent Case: Texas doctor Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo gets 10 yrs in poisoning